Today is two weeks from my operation - the clips were taken out 5 days ago and I could finally inspect my scars! They are quite Frankenstein-esq at the moment because the metal staples leave dots either side of the scars, but I think they will fade to nothing. I've been using a bit of coconut oil on them to moisturise, as well as arnica oil around my knee in general - although I'm not going too crazy with that as the scars aren't fully closed (still scabby). There's plenty of debate about whether coconut and arnica oils really have any clinical benefit but I find it comforting any way!
My knee is still a bit larger than the other one but generally not redder or warmer. Yesterday I was walking around the house without crutches - not quite normal gait yet but feeling much more confident. I think there is a lot to be said for listening to your body - I just found that suddenly I felt ready to leave the crutches to one side, it wasn't something that I had to force. I'll still use them on stairs and outside for now, although two weeks is when my surgeon said to start weaning off them. I'm not sure how long the 'weaning' period is supposed to last but I guess my knee will tell me!
I'm still getting the knee cap-ish pain when going into and out of full extension, but it is less sharp than it was initially. I haven't heard when my first physio appointment will be yet but will get a letter this week I hope! For now I'm just carrying on with the first-stage exercises, although getting more than 90 degrees flexion.
No comments:
Post a Comment