Hello, it's been a while since I blogged because since I last wrote, around week three, my knee has become less and less a focus of daily life! At my second physio appointment in week 5 I was given the go-ahead to cycle, and that has meant I have been able to get back to normal life - leaving the house! - in many ways. Cycling feels great, although with some slight discomfort around one of the keyhole incisions at the top of my knee - I guess where the cut went through muscle and some scar tissue has formed?! I'll ask at next PT appointment.
Apart from cycling (my comute to work and back is about 20 mins each way), I've been doing shallow squats (although I have to admit, I haven't been very committed) each day for glute strength, but I'm still not doing any other leg-strengthening exercises - PT says this should start after 12 weeks by which time the graft should have 'toughened up' (6-12 weeks is the time when it is at its weakest apparently). When I try one-legged squats (as suggested by PT), knee twinges, so I am generally avoiding that until I see the PT again.
Other than that I do feel like progress has 'plateaued' a bit - I'm walking almost normally and up to speed (some days walking feels more natural and 'flowing' than others!), I have full extension and almost full (passive) flexion - hindered slightly from a bit of swelling still. My scars are still pink but generally look ok. I'm walking up and down stairs normally (although still carefully!) The only time it aches or feels stiff is for a few seconds when I wake up in the morning - once I start moving it's fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment